Wednesday, July 27, 2016

Fine tuning

There was several acctions I had to take in order to configure the system better.

- I forgot to set the network during the installation, and I like to use a differnt hostname than the default. To run the network configuration program run the command:

# netconfig


- I changed the kernel from Huge to generic, I did it by following this procedure stated in SlackDocs. The only one difference was the configuration of lilo, in my case, I'm ussing elilo, so the procedure is a bit different.
I copyed the Slackware bootloader folder in EFI partition (/boot/efi/EFI/Slackware) and I renamed as Slackware-generic (/boot/efi/EFI/Slackware-generic), then I copyed the files /boot/vmlinuz-generic-4.4.14 and the RAM disk /boot/initrd.gz which were created previously into the Slackware-generic folder. Then, it is needed to modify the elilo configuration file to:

# /boot/efi/EFI/Slackware-generic/elilo.conf

chooser=simple
delay=1
timeout=1
default=Slackware-generic
#
image=vmlinuz-generic-4.4.14
    initrd=initrd.gz
    label=Slackware-generic
    root=/dev/sda3
  append="resume=/dev/sda2"
    read-only

This configuration includes the line that enables hibernation ("resume=/dev/sda2").

To finish I added the Slackware-generic boatloader to the UEFI boot configuration using the computer's firmware menu


- In Windowmaker, I used nm-applet to connect to a wifi network. The application loads in the system tray, so first it is needed to install and load wmsystemtray.


- I set the network time protocol script to run at starting the computer.

# chmod 755 /etc/rc.d/rc.ntpd

and I used the confuguration file:

# /etc/ntp.conf

driftfile /etc/ntp/drift
logfile /var/log/ntp.log

server 0.nl.pool.ntp.org
server 1.nl.pool.ntp.org
server 2.nl.pool.ntp.org
server 3.nl.pool.ntp.org

server 127.127.1.0
fudge 127.127.1.0 stratum 10

restrict default nomodify nopeer notrap
restrict 127.0.0.1 mask 255.0.0.0

No comments: